Research Presentation & Motivation
As of the end of August 2019, several spots of crude oil were sighted on beaches on the coast of the north and northeast regions of Brazil. Until January 21th, 2020, 1004 affected locations were counted (1). Bearing in mind that the length of the coast affected by the events (2,200 km, according to the Brazilian Navy) reaches almost one third (29.8%) of the total length of the Brazilian coast (7,367 km, according to IBGE), it is essential to count with a network of local information, provided by the inhabitants of the places, in order to enhance the collection of data regarding the areas reached and the damage caused by this type of pollution.
(1) IBAMA note: The concept of locality used in this mapping is restricted to an area corresponding to 1 km along the coast. Therefore, a beach with a 10km stretch of sand has 10 locations.
From the ends of the participatory map on the oil spill off the Brazilian coast - 2019-2020
Map in a participatory way the oil pollution points on the coast of Brazil (especially in the north and northeast regions of the country), in order to infer about the extent of the damage caused by the 2019-2020 spill.
You can view this map here.
How to participate!
STEP 1 - Take PHOTOGRAPHS of the polluted place with your cell phone (or camera);
STEP 2 - Record the GEOGRAPHICAL LOCATION of the location (*);
- GEOGRAPHICAL LOCATION (LATITUDE, LONGITUDE, ALTITUDE), in geographical coordinates or UTM.
- THE TYPE OF LOCATION (Beach, Pico, estuary, mangrove, ...);
- THE DATE OF OBTAINING THE PHOTOGRAPHY;
- NAME OF THE PERSON RESPONSIBLE FOR PHOTOGRAPHY;
- E-MAIL OF THE PERSON RESPONSIBLE FOR PHOTOGRAPHY
1 - If you have photos without location, send them by e-mail in the same way, just indicating the name of the place (ex: right corner of Prainha).
2 - To know the geographic location when you are in the locality:
- Use a GPS to obtain the coordinate; or
- Activate the cell phone location icon and check with Google Maps;
- Install and use an App (program) to take photos with the location, such as SW Maps - GIS & DataCollector (Android application) or another program.
SW Maps APPLICATION: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=np.com.softwel.swmaps&hl=en
SUPPORT TO THIS INITIATIVE
Laboratório de Cartografia - Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro - Geocart/UFRJ - Brasil
Laboratório de Geotecnologias da Universidade Federal Fluminense - Lageot/UFF - Brasil
Fundación Saavedra Lamas - Argentina
Blue Change - Rio de Janeiro - Brasil
Instituto Marola - Bahia - Brasil